This guide is for AWS practitioners who are looking to build skills to optimize their DevOps strategy by exploring secure, cost effective CI/CD and container-based solutions.
Monday (security focus)
- DVC304 - Red Team vs. Blue Team on AWS
Teri Radichel is an AWS Community Hero, and also a SANS Difference Maker, with a strong background in security. Along with Kolby, they will talk about tools and techniques on how to protect your environment by demonstrating real-world tactics attackers take.
- SEC327 - AWS Security in Your Sleep: Build End-to-End Automation for IR Workflows
No matter your knowledge in security, Brian Wagner and Don Bailey’s talks are a must see. They show you how security can be automated in a simple and fun way.
- Monday Night Live
Peter DeSantis (Vice President, AWS Global Infrastructure) will be back on the stage bringing valuable information and good stories.
Tuesday (DevOps focus)
- ARC332 - Inventory and Patch Management Using AWS Systems Manager
I'm a big fan of everything related to Systems Manager: it's free, enterprise grade, and works with on-premises infrastructure as well. So why not attend this hands-on workshop to help you handle inventory and patching?
- DEV210-R - Moving to DevOps the Amazon Way
Make moving to AWS as easy as picking the low hanging fruits. Join this session to learn best practices as you prepare your move to DevOps. These tips will save you time and avoid lots of pain.
- DEV305-R1 - AWS DevOps Essentials: An Introductory Workshop on CI/CD Best Practices
This hands-on workshop teaches CI/CD principles and also works through services integration using AWS CodeCommit, AWS CodeBuild, AWS CodePipeline, AWS CodeDeploy, AWS X-Ray, and AWS Cloud9.
- DEV317-R1 - Advanced Continuous Delivery Best Practices
After a CI/CD workshop, keep the mindset and go check out some best practices. This session covers topics such as adding failure cases, rollbacks, redundancy, canary testing and blue/green deployments, and monitoring.
Wednesday (Container focus)
- CON355 - Best Practices for Container Image Management
If you see the name Abby Fuller and containers in the same sentence, go watch it.
- CON309 - Building with Containers in Highly Regulated Environments
Containers, if not well managed, are an easy path to a total mess. Why not check how regulated environments manage it?
Thursday (cost optimization focus)
- ENT322-R3 - How to Use Cost Explorer and Budgets to Manage Your AWS Costs
AWS provides tools and APIs to help you control your costs. Be sure to check this one out!
- CMP306-R - Run Production Workloads on Spot, Save up to 90%
Amazon EC2 Spot Instances can save you lots of money and also make your team achieve a self-healing architecture.
Friday (DevOps focus)
- SEC332-R1 - Adding the Sec to Your DevOps Pipelines
Sorry for recommending you wake early after the re:Play party, but it will be worth it, I promise. Remember the quote: "security is everyone's responsibility" so let's add some sec to our pipelines.
- API307-R4 - Deploy a Resilient and Cost-Effective App with EC2 Auto Scaling and CI/CD
Another example of how integration can be useful and cost effective. AWS CodeDeploy + AWS CodePipeline + EC2 Auto Scaling.
- Important: save some time for the sessions that are not available yet. AWS will launch outstanding new features and the sessions will be available after that.
- Don't forget the Expo Hall, you can find amazing partners over there.
- If you have any agenda conflict, check the one that you have questions about it, you can chat directly to the AWS subject matter expert. Also, most of the sessions will be available later on YouTube.
- Get certified!